- Digital navigation
- Autonomous vehicles
- Playful methodologies
- Protest events
This project explores the calculative logics of (navigational) decision-making in autonomous vehicles. It looks to build on previous work on anticipation, risk, interfaces and failure to interrogate the distributed, precarious nature of (digital) navigational assemblages.
Research Associate, Locating Media, University of Siegen
2016 – 2017
Research Assistant, Playfields
Teaching Fellow, Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies (CIM), University of Warwick
2012 – 2016
PhD Interdisciplinary Studies, CIM, University of Warwick
2012 – 2016
Graduate Teaching Assistant, CIM, University of Warwick
2010 – 2011
MSc. Geographical Information Science, School of Environment and Development (SED), University of Manchester
2007 – 2010
BSc. Geography, SED, University of Manchester
- Gekker, A. and Hind, S. (2019) Infrastructural Surveillance. New Media & Society. 0 (0): 1-23.
- Hind, S. (2019) Digital Navigation and the Driving-Machine: Supervision, Calculation, Optimization, and Recognition. Mobilities. 14 (4): 401-417.
- Panek, J., Gekker, A., Hind, S., Wendler, J., Perkins, C. and Lammes, S. (2017) Encountering Place: Mapping and Location-Based Games in Interdisciplinary Education. The Cartographic Journal. 0 (0): 1-12.
- Hind, S. (2017) Cartographic Care, or, Caretographies. Living Maps Review. 3: 1-14.
- Hind, S. (2015) Maps, Kettles and Inflatable Cobblestones: The Art of Playful Disruption in the City. Media Fields. 9: n.p..
- Hind, S. and Lammes, S. (2015) Digital Mapping as Double-Tap: Cartographic Modes, Calculations and Failures. Global Discourse. 6 (1-2): 79-97.
- Hind, S. and Gekker, A. (2014) ‚Outsmarting Traffic, Together‘: Driving as Social Navigation. Exchanges: the Warwick Research Journal. 1 (2): 1-17.
- Hind, S. (in press) Mobile Mapping. In International Encyclopedia of Human Geography (ed. Kobayashi, A.).
- Hind S. and Gekker A. (2019) On Autopilot: Towards a Flat Ontology of Vehicular Navigation. In Media’s Mapping Impulse (eds. Lukinbeal, C., Sharp, L., Sommerlad, E. and Escher, A.). Stuttgart: Franz Steiner Verlag.
- Hind, S. (2018) Playing with Politics: Memory, Orientation, and Tactility. In The Playful Citizen: Civic Engagements in a Mediatized Culture (eds. Glas, R., Lammes, S., Lange, M. de., Raessens, J. and de Vries, I.). Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
- Hind, S. (2016) Territorial Determinism: Police Exercises, Training Spaces and Manoeuvres. In Playful Mapping in the Digital Age (eds. Playful Mapping Collective). Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures, 94-113.
- Gekker, A. and Hind, S. (2016) ‚Outsmarting Traffic, Together‘: Driving as Social Navigation. In Playful Mapping in the Digital Age (eds. Playful Mapping Collective). Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures, 78-93.
- Perkins, C., Lammes, S., Gekker, A., Hind, S., Wilmott, C. and Evans, D. (eds.) (2018) Time for Mapping: Cartographic Temporalities. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Playful Mapping Collective (2017) A Manifesto for Playful Methods. Self-published.
- Playful Mapping Collective (2016) Playful Mapping in the Digital Age. Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures.
- Hind, S. (2016) Driving the Future. Wealth Press: Work and Time Issue.
- Hind, S. (2015) Election Reaction: A Left Turn for Labour Now is a Fantasy. Novara Wire.
- Hind, S. (2015) ‚Print this Map. Get off the Internet. Take to the Streets‘: 5 of the Left’s Best Mapping Moments. Novara Wire.
- Hind, S. (2014) #FuckUber: 8 Reasons Why Uber is Bad for All of Us. Novara Wire.
- Hind, S. (2019) Governing Future Emergencies: Lived Relations to Risk in the UK Fire and Rescue Service. Convergence. 0 (0): 1-2.
- Hind, S. (2013) Mobile Interface Theory. Cartographica. 48 (3): 253-254.
Press and Interviews (quoted)
- Hind, S. (2019) Forscher-Alumni-Galerie: Dr. Sam Hind. University of Siegen Forscher-Alumni, August 1.
- Nakashima, R. (2018) Why you can’t always trust your handy map app. Associated Press, September 28.
- O’Brien, M. (2018) Can apps like Waze steer you clear of disaster? Maybe not. Associated Press, September 17.
- Miyazaki, S. (2017) Algo-rhythmics. CIM: Out of Data, August 7.
- Veel, K. (2017) Uncertain Archives. CIM: Out of Data, July 21.
- Hesselberth, P. (2017) On Disconnection. CIM: Out of Data, February 27.
- Posavec, S. (2017) Warming Data Up. CIM: Out of Data, February 14.
- Hind, S. (2015) Sounds from the Other City: Anechoic Chamber. The Modernist: Experiment Issue.
- The Production of Participation in the Digital World workshop; NTNU, Norway (upcoming)
- ‚International Perspectives in Technology and Media‘ event; University of Siegen (invited)
- Digital | Visual | Cultural 3 – Models, Volume and 3D Visualisation workshop; University of Oxford (invited)
- ‚Platforms, Play and Cartography‘ workshop; University of Amsterdam
- Geomedia conference; Karlstad University, Sweden
- Science in Public conference; Cardiff, UK (invited)
- Who’s Driving? workshop; Deutsches Museum, Munich
- RGS-IBG conference; Cardiff, UK
- Digital Geographies Working Group symposium; Sheffield, UK (invited)
- Sensing Media conference; University of Siegen (invited)
- Surveillance Studies conference; Aarhus University, Denmark
- IRS Spring Academy; Leibniz Institute for Research on Society and Space, Erkner
- Spationomy colloquium; Ruhr-University Bochum (invited)
- Inventive Method lecture series; University of Siegen (invited)
- Mobile Utopia conference; Lancaster University, UK
- RGS-IBG conference; London, UK (I)
- RGS-IBG conference; London, UK (II)
- Building for Impact workshop; University of Warwick, UK (invited)
- Playful Field Encounters conference; University of Manchester, UK (I)
- Playfield Field Encounters conference; University of Manchester, UK (II)
- Nordic Geographers Meeting (NGM) conference; Stockholm University, Sweden
- Media & Place-making workshop; Coventry University, UK (invited)
- Playfields workshop; Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland (invited)
- Information Security lecture series; Royal Holloway University of London, UK (invited)
- Digital Activism seminar; University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands (invited)
- Cyber-Security and Risk summer school; Royal Holloway University of London, UK (invited)
- Media’s Mapping Impulse conference; University of Mainz
- Living with Algorithms workshop; Royal Holloway University of London, UK (invited)
- RGS-IBG Postgraduate Forum conference; Newcastle University, UK
- LivingMaps lecture; Birkbeck University of London, UK (invited)
- DiGRA conference; Abertay University, Dundee, UK
- International Small Island Cultures (ISIC) conference; University of Malta, Malta
- Association of American Geographers’ (AAG) conference; Chicago, USA
- Crossroads in Cultural Studies conference; University of Tampere, Finland
- Identity and Interdisciplinarity in Games and Play summer school; Utrecht University, the Netherlands
- Mobile Media: Making, Cooperation, Work conference; University of Siegen
- Brains, Maps and Rhythms conference; University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- International Cartography Conference (ICC); Dresden
- The Citizen Scientist on the Move conference; Utrecht University, the Netherlands
- Playful Media: Ludification in the Digital Age (IM922), CIM, University of Warwick (Sessional Teacher)
2016 – 2017
- Go Go Gozo (IM917), CIM, University of Warwick (Teaching Fellow)
- Digital Sociology (IM920), CIM, University of Warwick (TF)
- Urban Science (IM913), CIM, University of Warwick (TF)
- Digital Objects, Digital Methods (IM904), CIM, University of Warwick (TF)
2015 – 2016
- Go Go Gozo (IM917), CIM, University of Warwick (Graduate Teaching Assistant)
2012 – 2014
- Islands: Paradise or Prison, SED, University of Manchester (Fieldcourse Teaching Assistant)
- Locating Media Seminar Series Winter 2019/2020; University of Siegen
- Remapping the Home session 2019; Geomedia, Karlstad, Sweden (co-organizer)
- Locating Media Seminar Series Summer 2018/2019; University of Siegen
- Navigating Data Landscapes workshop 2018; RGS-IBG, Cardiff, UK (co-organizer)
- Digital Power, Decolonising Life session 2017; RGS-IBG, London, UK (co-organizer)
- Playful Field Encounters conference 2017; University of Manchester, UK (co-organizer)
- Charting the Digital: Play, Discourse, Disruption conference 2016; University of Warwick in Venice, Italy (co-organizer)
- Politics of Failure I and II sessions 2015; AAG, Chicago, USA (co-organizer)
- Time Travellers conference 2014; University of Oxford, UK (co-organizer)
- Thinking and Doing Digital Mapping conference 2013; University of Warwick, UK (co-organizer)